How Do I Report A Change Of Income For Food Stamps In California?

If you are a recipient of food stamps (CalFresh) in California, it is crucial to report any changes in your income promptly.

Keeping your income information up-to-date ensures that you receive the correct amount of benefits. This guide will walk you through the steps to report a change in income for CalFresh.

When to Report a Change in Income

You must report a change in income to your county within 10 days if your total monthly income exceeds the Income Eligibility Standard (IES) listed on your CalFresh Notice of Action (NOA).

The IES, also known as the Income Reporting Threshold (IRT), determines your eligibility for CalFresh benefits and the amount you receive.

Here are some income changes you should report:

  • Increase in wages or salary
  • Receipt of unemployment benefits
  • Social Security income increase
  • Any other source of earned or unearned income

Note: If your NOA says “N/A” for IRT, you don’t need to report income changes until your next renewal. However, if you receive CalWORKs benefits and have an IRT listed, report income changes exceeding that amount.

How to Report a Change of Income

There are several ways to report a change in income for CalFresh:

1. Online

You can report income changes online through the BenefitsCal portal. These portals allow you to update your information securely and conveniently.

Steps to Report Online:

  1. Log in to your BenefitsCal account.
  2. Navigate to the section for reporting changes.
  3. Follow the prompts to update your income information.
  4. Submit the necessary documentation, such as pay stubs or letters from your employer, if required.

2. By Phone

You can also report income changes by calling your local county CalFresh office. The customer service representative will guide you through the process and may request you to submit documentation.

3. In-Person

Visit your local county CalFresh office to report income changes in person. Bring any necessary documentation to support your income change, such as recent pay stubs or a letter from your employer.

4. By Mail or Fax

Some counties allow you to report income changes by mail or fax. Contact your local CalFresh office to confirm if this option is available and to obtain the appropriate forms.

When reporting the change, be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Your name and Case ID number
  • The type of income change
  • The amount of the income change
  • Verification documents (paystubs, benefit statements, etc.)

What Happens After Reporting

Once you report a change in income, the CalFresh office will review the information and adjust your benefits accordingly.

You will receive a notice indicating the change in your benefit amount and the effective date. If additional information or documentation is needed, the CalFresh office will contact you.

Additional Information

  • Reporting a decrease in income may increase your CalFresh benefit amount.
  • If you’re unsure whether you need to report a change, contact your county Social Services department.

Final Words

Reporting a change in income for CalFresh benefits is crucial to ensure you receive the correct amount of assistance.

It’s your responsibility as a recipient to report changes within the required timeframe. Failure to do so may result in overpayments or underpayments.

Remember, keeping your income information up-to-date helps you and your family access the necessary resources to meet your basic needs.

So don’t hesitate to report any changes that may impact your CalFresh eligibility and benefit amount.

Leave a Comment